Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Apple Pie in a Paper Bag


 Last Thanksgiving we had dinner with Maren and Alex, and a few of his sisters. One of his sisters made this apple pie, cooked it in a paper bag. At first I was afraid the apartment building would burn down if the bag caught fire, but then after tasting this pie I was afraid she may never give me the recipe and I'd have to go to desperate measures to get it. Luckily when she left, she left open the email containing the recipe. That's right, I stole it from her email account!!! And I'm not even sorry!!! This pie is so good, and really its so easy, you don't even have to roll out any dough! I made this for a dinner get together we had with friends, and all those friends wanted the recipe too, so I'm sharing the wealth!


Apple Pie (paper bag-style)

CRUST
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
½  cup oil
2 Tbsp milk
FILLING
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced or enough to equal 6 cups (I used 6 apples because my apples were small, just fyi)
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
TOPPING
½ cup sugar
½ cup flour
½ cup butter
To make the crust, mix the ingredients together. Press into a pie dish and press dough up the sides as well.
To make the filling, first stir together the dry ingredients and then add the apples. Mound apple filling into the crust-lined pan.
To make the topping, mix the ingredients together until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples and pat down a bit.
Place pie in medium-sized brown paper bag and fold over edges. Put this on a cookie sheet. (Pie makes a sticky mess on the bottom of the cookie sheet and pie dish but it comes off easily after soaked in water.)
Oven must be completely pre-heated to avoid burning the bag. Make sure that the bag does not touch the sides of the oven. Bake at 350* for 1 hour 10 minutes.
Remove pie from oven, tear away top of the bag and return pie to the oven for additional 10 minutes to crisp the top a bit.

I sprinkled the top with cinnamon because it made it look that much more beautiful... Don't forget vanilla ice cream...

2 comments:

  1. the best part about this is she gave me the recipe before she left...not so secretive:)

    ReplyDelete