Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Enchiladas they serve in Heaven!!!

That's right, I said Heaven. Now I have never been to Heaven, and I don't know that food is all the rage there, but all I can say is a world without these would be like Hell to me, Hence they've gotta be from Heaven!!! But seriously, I ate about 1/3 of the pan in one day, just ask Morgan who came home yesterday wondering if I had done anything else but eat enchiladas! These are great because you can make a ton of them and freeze part of them. However if you're like me they won't stay in the freezer long.

This is a recipe that I got from a friend, and then changed a few things so they reached the level of Heavenly. They are originally made with shredded chicken, but why would you choose boring, boiled in water and shredded chicken when you can have slow roasted in salsa and enchilada sauce pulled pork! I think this recipe is so good however you could try many different options. Anna and I were talking about it and decided it would be good with beans, extra grilled veggies, and some spruced up Mexican rice! You could even add some hominy, or some kind of white flaky fish, precooked in butter, or shrimp!!! Sky's the limit really. That being said, here's how I enjoy them:



Heaven Sent Enchiladas:
  • 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of Pork Butt Roast (slow cooked for about 4-5 hours on high. I usually cook mine covered in about half a jar of salsa of your choice, and one can of green enchilada sauce.)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup (or more) chopped onion
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped and seeded
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped and seeded
  • 1/2 cup or so of frozen corn
  • 8 oz grated cheddar
  • 1 14-oz can (I use 2) diced green chilies
  • 1 cup purchased green salsa (if you make this salsa yourself then by all means, use that)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro (the hero of any recipe)
  • 4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup chopped canned Jalapenos - optional
  •  15+ Costco uncooked tortillas - cooked on stove top until fluffy, but not crispy! (the number of tortillas you need will of course vary with how much filling you make, i.e. size of the roast, if you really go heavy on the onions, whatever - this is an easy to play with and easy to make yummy recipe.)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 10 oz Monterey jack cheese
  • 1 cup Heavy/whipping cream
  •  1/2 cup Chicken broth (for those vegetarian out there I know they make a No Chicken Chicken Broth, but veggie broth I'm sure would still be yummy)

-->Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat and cook the onion and bell peppers until just soft, about 5-8 minutes, then transfer to large bowl. Add the pork (or whatever your filling is going to be), -->cheddar cheese, green chilies, salsa, cilantro, cumin, and jalapeno chilies, if desired.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. (I dare you to try not to eat too much of the filling when making sure it's seasoned well) 
Lightly grease a 10x15x2 inch baking pan or 2 smaller pans (I use up to 3 even if I make enough filling). Then place 1 flour tortilla on a flat surface and place about 1/3 cup filling mixture along one side.  Roll up from filling side and place seam side down in prepared tray. Repeat this process with the remaining to chicken mixture and tortillas. Sprinkle Monterey Jack over enchiladas (You can prepare the pans of enchiladas until this point one day in advance, chill and cover - I have even frozen them for a few days - wrapped tight in plastic wrap)


-->
Combine the cream and chicken broth and pour over enchiladas(the best part!!!). Then cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 
Place 1 or 2 enchiladas on individual serving plates, for added Happiness you can garnish with avocado, tomato, and cilantro, if desired. Or whatever sounds good to you (I eat them plain, or sometimes with salsa on top)


1 comment:

  1. Those do look absolutely delicious and I'm sure shredded pork is to-die-for (in fact some poor piggy DID die for it!) but the roasted veggie enchiladas will be great, too. Thanks, Megan!

    ReplyDelete