Thursday, June 10, 2010

Puyallup Fair Scones and Homemade Berry Freezer Jam








Occasionally I just miss these so much, I make them myself, and there is no better way to eat these than fresh out of the oven with homemade strawberry jam! (And butter, of course!!) This recipe is the Fisher Scone Recipe (aka fair scones) and the strawberry freezer jam recipe (you can use any berry really) is from the Better Homes and Gardens classic red and white cookbook. I was happy that Morgan came with this book ;)

Fisher Scones

• 2 ½ Cups Flour
• 2 tsp. Baking Powder
• 2 tbsp. Sugar
• ½ tsp. Salt
• 6 tbsp. Butter
• ¾ Cup Milk

  1. Sift flour  
  2. Resift with remaining dry ingredients
  3. Work butter into ingredients with fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs
  4. Add milk to mixture and knead dough
  5. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces
  6. On floured surface roll or pat each piece into a round about 3/4" thick
  7. Cut into 6 wedge shaped pieces per round
Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. (Now this is what works for me with my oven, the original recipe said bake at 450 for 15 minutes and I always had burnt scones. I know altitude can make a difference and I am in the mountain tops, but feel free to try this and just keep an eye on them until they turn slightly golden brown on the edges and they're perfect!!!


 Berry Freezer Jam

  • 4 Cups Fresh Blackberries, Raspberries, or hulled Strawberries
  • 4 Cups Sugar (yes!)
  • 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel (I like lemon so I did more like 1 1/2 tsp. and it has such a fresh flavor! I'm also curious to try some chopped basil, or lavender with the strawberry! Anyways, I digress)
  • 1 1.75-ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin (I only found 2 oz packages and just added a slight amount less and its good!)
  • 3/4 Cup Water
  1. In a bowl use a potato masher to crush the berries until you have 2 cups crushed berries. Mix berries, sugar, and lemon peel. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small saucepan combine pectin and water. Bring to boiling over high heat; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. remove from heat and add to berry mixture; stire for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy.
  2. Ladle into half-pint freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace (allowing room for frozen liquids to expand safely). Let stand at room temperature 24 hours or until set (mine was set within an hour... maybe because i had a bit more pectin, who knows, it's still good though). Store the jam for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator or for up to 1 year in the freezer.
Enjoy! This is just perfect summer food to me :)

2 comments:

  1. Look at you! Your great photos of yummy looking homemade jam and scones ready to bake-off!! You're becoming a professional blogger. Love the new background, too. I promise, I'll submit a recipe someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recipe!! I just made them to share with my coworkers for our culture day tomorrow (I live in suburban Philadelphia now). They really turned out perfectly! Thank you

    ReplyDelete