Thursday, July 8, 2010

Great Harvest Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!!

I have ALWAYS loved Great Harvest Chocolate Chip Cookies! What's not to love??? They're huge, for one, they are perfectly moist, perfectly chewy, and they have the richest, most hearty taste of any chocolate chip cookie I've ever had. I would say they're most comparable to the infamous vegan chocolate chip recipe (which I'll have to post soon) except they are not vegan, and personally I'm totally fine with that. Last night I was majorly craving some yummy cookies (perhaps you saw my facebook status) and these cookies came to mind. I looked up this recipe online, wasn't sure how close to the real thing they'd be, but decided it was worth a try. My first bite was so good, it brought me back to when I was little, going to the Great Harvest on Sand Point Way in Seattle with Mom, Brita and Maren and getting these seemingly HUGE cookies, and a free slice of Oh-so-good Great Harvest white bread with lots o' butter. I loved those days :) And I love these cookies:





Great Harvest Bread Co. Chocolate Chip Cookies:


2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups rolled oats
2 eggs
2 tablespoons molasses (may be substituted with honey, or maple syrup - the real stuff)
1 tablespoon milk
1 (12 ounce) pkg semisweet chocolate chips (The Whole Thing Baby!!!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add oats, eggs, molasses (or whatever), and milk; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and drop about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
 I found that as this is such a big cookie it was helpful when dropping the cookies, to also squish the cookies till they're just about 3/4-1 inch tall (that way they spread out more, rather than just become really thick. However if you like them thick, then by all means omit the squishing step)

Bake at 350 degrees F for12 to 13 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside (I only bake mine for 10 minutes - not sure if that's an altitude thing, or just a "my oven" thing). Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on racks.



recipe found at: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/24199



4 comments:

  1. ignore the deformed cup... my camera has a mind of its own and we're still working on getting along

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these! (of course, they're dessert :)
    They really do taste like Great Harvest cookies. I love that they are 100% whole wheat, with tons of oats and plenty of chocolate - hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called a Great Harvest store that I shop at & the baker told me they do not use molasses or milk in any of their cookies. They do use water and the rest of your ingredients. Just thought I would point this out. Its the whole wheat flour that helps keep the cookies structure & the brown sugar gives the moist chewy texture. So I do thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Their oatmeal chocolate chip to, please! That cookie is basically my ideal oatmeal cookie.

    ReplyDelete