Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes

Megan and I were chatting this morning and I told her about these and thought I should just post them. I made them this morning for Alex and his sister and she was in serious doubt that they were vegan. They taste just like the real thing!



1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour*
2 cups almond milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4-1/2 cup water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp sugar or agave nectar
1/4 cup melted Smart Balance butter plus extra for cooking the pancakes

*You can easily substitute any of these flours for a gluten-free mixture

Preheat the griddle to medium-high. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and in a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients. Combine the wet to the dry and mix. Lumps are good! Add water as necessary (more for thinner pancakes, less for thicker...). Add blueberries, bananas or whatever you want into the mixture. Melt a small amount of Smart Balance in the pan each time you pour in a new pancake. Scoop batter up with a measuring cup and pour into the pan (whatever size you want your pancake to be!). Cook each pancake until it's bubbly on top and dry/cooked around the edges, then flip. Total cooking time should be about 4-5 minutes. If they are browning too quickly turn the heat down a little. Top with butter, pure maple syrup, jam, fresh fruit or whatever you want! I'm so mad at myself because I just made them this morning and I didn't take a picture. This one doesn't do them justice. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment