Monday, November 21, 2016

Ryan's (Linda's) Orange Roll Recipe


A couple people have asked me for this recipe so I thought I would email it out to everyone for the Christmas season. People always love this recipe and it's made me really popular with Elana's family and our friends over the years during the holidays. And YES, this is Linda's famous recipe. She was kind enough to share this with me some 10-12 years ago I think when I was still at the Y. So thank you Linda for making this a family tradition:)

Hint - I usually double this recipe. They go fast

Orange Rolls

3 Beaten Eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water (tap water hot, not boiling) - should bubble a little
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 and 1/2 to almost 6 cups flour (see my *NOTE in the directions)

Beat eggs, sugar, salt, and 1 cup warm water together
Add in yeast mixture and oil
Slowly add in flour and mix well. Dough should start to get thick, but still a bit sticky.
*(NOTE: Ryan typically adds the 4.5 cups of flour and then after allowing the dough to rise he rolls the dough onto a very generously floured surface. When Morgan and I make this recipe we tend to add an extra cup or more to the dough adding just half a cup at a time until the dough is still sticky but not so sticky that you are unable to handle it without making a huge mess on your hands and then we allow the dough to rise and still roll it out onto a more lightly floured surface. Both ways seem to make a good roll)
Place into a bowl (not a bad idea to lightly butter and flour the bowl to get it from sticking) and cover with a towel. Let the dough rise till it's double (roughly) the size then punch it down. 
Cover with a towel again and put it in the fridge overnight. 
Roll out on a generously floured surface to a long rectangle. Don't roll too thin, and not too thick that you can't roll it. Add the spread (see below, I often double the spread) and roll. Cut off sections with a toothed-knife and put in a buttered muffin tin. 
Bake at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes (until golden brown on top)

Here is what you need for the spread. Again, I generally double this for each single batch of orange rolls. If I double the orange rolls, I generally triple the spread. 

Spread (Filling)

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter (not melted)
1 Orange peel (zested)

No comments:

Post a Comment